Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, has been arrested by UK police on suspicion of misconduct in public office, marking an unprecedented development involving a senior member of the British royal family.
Thames Valley Police confirmed that the 66-year-old royal was taken into custody on Thursday as part of an ongoing investigation into alleged conduct during his former role as the UK’s special representative for international trade and investment. Officers are understood to be examining matters linked to his previous public duties and associations.
In a statement released shortly after the arrest, King Charles III said he had been informed of the situation “with the deepest concern” and stressed that “the law must take its course.” The King added that it would be inappropriate to comment further while the legal process is ongoing and emphasized that the Royal Family would fully cooperate with authorities.
Police said searches are being conducted at properties connected to the Duke as part of the inquiry. He remains in custody for questioning.
The arrest follows renewed scrutiny of Prince Andrew’s past associations, particularly his ties to the late American financier Jeffrey Epstein, a convicted sex offender. While Andrew has consistently denied wrongdoing, the controversy surrounding his links to Epstein led to his withdrawal from public duties in 2019 and the loss of his honorary military titles and royal patronages in subsequent years.
Legal experts note that “misconduct in public office” is a serious common law offence in England and Wales, typically applied where a public official is alleged to have wilfully neglected to perform their duty or abused their position.
This is a developing story. Further updates are expected as police continue their investigation and prosecutors review the evidence.